This recipe takes me back to my small days. During my school holidays I used to travel to my grandma’s place (my mom’s mom) to spend some decent amount of time from my entire holiday. There are two main reasons for me to spend almost entire holiday at my grandma’s place, one is to play with my cousins all day long (my grandma has 14 children, so I have a big gang of cousins and most of us get-together during our school holidays) and the other is the yummiest food we get 🙂 .
When my grandma made the main meals one of my aunties (my mom’s youngest sister) who is very fond of cooking used to make us yummy desserts. One day she said she gonna make a yummy dessert with bread. As we knew that we eat bread for breakfast or dinner, but never heard bread as a dessert and we thought she was just pulling our legs. So all the kiddos including me were very excited to see what she makes and how she makes this so called dessert.
Then she started making, and to our amazed it was really a bread dessert, where she mix things together and pour it over the bread, sprinkling some plums (sultanas) on top and send it to the oven and it was ready in minutes. She called it “The Bread Pudding”. It was very hard for us to wait until it comes out from the oven as our nostrils were filled with the yummy smell and nobody wanted to wait till it gets cool to taste 🙂 . I remember few of us burnt our tongues while tasting the very first bit of the pudding, but as it was really really tasty we didn’t even bother about the pain on our tongues …. Hehehe.
As I love this bread pudding my aunt makes, whenever I go to my grandma’s place I requested my aunt to make it for me. And she never said no to my request J. Later when I was able to make food by myself, I asked my aunt to teach me how to prepare this bread pudding. And today I’m sharing that yummiest recipe of Bread Pudding she has taught me to make, with so much of love.
Try it !!! and use the below form to share your thoughts with me …. I love to hear from you all …
You might be using a similar recipe or a different recipe to make Bread Pudding in your home or in your country …. Let’s share our experiences & thoughts …. Let me know if you have any questions … I’ll be glad to help you 🙂
- White bread – 12 slices
- Sweetened condensed milk – small tin
- Water – 1 tin (use the condensed milk tin to measure)
- Fresh milk 100ml
- Eggs – 3
- Butter – 50g
- Sugar to taste
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Plums (Sultanas) – Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and slightly grease the Pyrex dish (or the nonstick baking tray)
- Trim off the edges of the bread slices and cut each slice into four squares.
- In a mixing bowl mix together sweetened condensed milk, water, fresh milk, butter, eggs (slightly beaten), vanilla and sugar.
- In a Small Pyrex dish (or nonstick baking tray), add a layer of bread pieces and then cover it with the liquid mixture. Sprinkle some plums. Then add another layer of bread pieces, cover it with the liquid mixture and sprinkle some plums. Repeat this for about 3 layers.
- Bake this in 180°C for about 45 mins (or until a tooth pick inserted comes out with little moist)